New Delhi: Amid the rising COVID-19 cases across the country, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday (April 8) said that there will be no lockdown. He said that there is a need to work on war footing again to fight against the pandemic.
PM Modi held a meeting with Chief Ministers on the current COVID-19 situation.
“A challenging situation is emerging again. I request you all to give your suggestions to tackle the COVID-19 situation,” he said.
The prime minister also announced that a “Tika Utsav” would be observed from April 11 to 14.
“11th to 14th April can be observed as ‘Tika (vaccination) Utsav’ for COVID-19 vaccination,” he said.
PM Modi’s address in meeting with CMs – Live updates:
* There is a need to work on war footing again to fight COVID-19. Despite all the challenges, we have a better experience, resources & a vaccine: PM Modi
* We need to fight the second surge in cases. Many states including Maharashtra, Gujarat, Chhattisgarh, Punjab have crossed first wave of peak in COVID-19 cases. This is a serious concern. People have become complacent. In most States administration has also become relaxed: PM
* A challenging situation is emerging again. I request you all to give your suggestions to tackle the COVID-19 situation: PM Modi
* I appeal to you all to stress on COVID-19 testing. Our target is to do 70% RT-PCR tests. Let the number of positive cases come high, but do maximum testing. Proper sample collection is very important, it can be checked through proper governance: PM Modi
* COVID-19 tracing and tracking is the way to curb the spread of infection: PM Modi
* We must concentrate on micro-containment zones. In places where night curfew has been imposed, I would urge to use the word ‘Corona Curfew’, to continue alertness about coronavirus. It will be better to start curfew timing from 9 pm or 10 pm till 5 am or 6 am: PM Modi
* 11th to 14th April can be observed as ‘Tika (vaccination) Utsav’ for COVID19 vaccination: PM Modi
* Once again we need to raise awareness about the importance of wearing a mask and following COVID19 safety protocols: PM Modi
* Today, the problem is that we have forgotten about COVID19 testing and have moved to vaccination. We have to remember that we had won the fight against COVID19 without a vaccine. We have to emphasise on testing: PM Modi
* We need to prioritise (vaccine distribution) with what we have. We won’t get the result by keeping vaccines in one state. It is not right to think in this way. We have to manage by thinking about the country: PM Modi
Second wave of COVID-19 in India
PM Modi’s address comes after India recorded 1,26,789 fresh COVID-19 cases, taking the tally to 1,29,28,574.
As per the Health Ministry data released at 8 AM on Thursday (April 8), 685 deaths and 59,258 discharges were reported in the last 24 hours. The active caseload has reached 9,10,319 while the death toll stands at 1,66,862 in the country.