Hong Kong will announce new social distancing arrangements later Tuesday after a “reassuring” downward trend in Covid-19 cases, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said.

Authorities are in continued discussions with representatives in the food and beverage, sports and salon sectors, Lam told a weekly briefing before a meeting of her advisory Executive Council. Some of the city’s strictest distancing measures were scheduled to expire Tuesday.

Hong Kong is among regional spots battling a fresh wave of the virus after seeing initial success containing it, including Vietnam, South Korea and Australia. The government has urged citizens to take part in a voluntary free two-week drive to test the entire population for the virus starting Sept. 1, aided by Chinese experts and labs.

Lam repeated that the testing campaign was fully supported by the central government in Beijing and urged participation.

“I would appeal to the public to actively participate in the universal testing scheme in order to find silent carriers as soon as possible,” she said.

As Hong Kong’s third wave surge of virus cases tails off — it recorded just seven new locally transmitted cases on Monday — the government has been under immense pressure from restaurants and other small businesses to relax distancing measures. Smaller businesses have been especially hard hit, with protests last year knocking Hong Kong into a recession even before the pandemic hit.

Lam said virus cases had been decreasing since she last briefed on Friday. But she added that it was still hard to avoid some small community outbreaks, and that the government would continue monitoring and regularly test workers at the city’s port.

Executive Council members have said restrictions would likely ease after cases reached the single digits.

Hong Kong’s Legislative Council will hold a special meeting to discuss the government’s coronavirus efforts on Friday.

The tightened measures were enacted weeks after China imposed sweeping national security legislation on Hong Kong, and amid criticism over the government’s decision to postpone a September legislative election by a year, citing the virus. Activists have said they feared authorities would use anti-virus restrictions to limit their ability to protest.

This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.

Subscribe to newsletters

* Enter a valid email

* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here